Name: Catherine Bird
I am a Finance professional and have thirty years of hands-on financial, management and leadership experience gained within manufacturing, distribution and financial services sectors.
I was Head of Finance for Raleigh UK Ltd for twelve years and was a member of the Senior Management team which lead the company through the transition from manufacturing to outsourced distribution. I was also financial systems process owner during a major upgrade of Raleigh’s business systems in 2005.
Since moving to Cornwall in 2012, I co-own and manage a small stonemasonry business near Mullion.
- Chartered Management Accountant – 1999
- Chartered Accountant (time barred) – 1993
- BA Hons History 2:1 University of York – June 1987
- Mullion Comprehensive School 2013 – 2017
- Raleigh Pension Scheme Trustee 1994 – 2012
- John Clifford Primary School, Nottinghamshire (in Special Measures) 2006 -2009
- Dazzlers After School Club 2008 – 2011
- Company Secretary of Duke Stone of Cornwall Ltd, Carrick Stone Trading Ltd – Current
- Company Secretary of Raleigh UK Ltd and associated UK Companies 2001 – 2012
Why a Trustee?
I believe passionately in the importance of educational opportunity to allow all children to reach their potential and to develop a positive attitude to lifelong learning. As a Parent Governor at Mullion School, I witnessed the positive impact on student outcomes and staff morale that an Outstanding School produces.
An objective of excellent educational outcomes from our MAT must, however, be underpinned by sound and robust financial controls and systems. As a Trustee, my aim is to help ensure these operate effectively and appropriately for all students, staff and employees in our MAT schools.