Name: Alan Horne
Operation and management of public sector Leisure Facilities for 30 years: operating Swimming Pools, Sports Centres, Theatres, Parks and Gardens and Sports Development.
- Manager of the Eastway Leisure Centre ( now the Olympic Stadium site in Hackney but then operated by the Lee Valley Regional Park Authority) for 7 years.
- Principal Leisure Officer for Carrick District Council for 11 years, overseeing the building of the Ships and Castles Leisure Centre, the Truro Leisure Centre and the refurbishment of the Princess Pavilion.
- Managing Director of Carrick Leisure (now known as Tempus Leisure) for 10 years.
- Retired in 2012.
- BSc (Hons) Biological Science. – London University
- Recreation Management. – Loughborough University
- Governor of Breage C of E Primary School (4 years, 1992-1996)
- Governor of Helston Community College (19 years, 1997-2016)
Vice Chair of Resource Committee
Headteachers Performance Review Panel
Staff Performance Review Panel
Health and Safety Governor
- Managing Director / Company Secretary of Carrick Leisure Limited (10 years, 2003-2012)
- Director of Bike Cornwall (3 years, 2008-2011)
- Board Member of Cornwall Sports Partnership (5 years, 1998-2003)
- Committee Member of Mullion Golf Club (4 years, 2012-2016; as Captain from 2014-15)
Why a Trustee?
In 2002, I led the process of setting up a Charitable Trust to operate the Leisure Centres in Cornwall This company now operates 19 facilities, with some 800 employees and a turnover exceeding £10 million. The process of setting up the Trust was broadly similar to that of the Multi Academy Trust, as it required experience in the fields of Personnel, Finance, Facility Management and Company structure.
Whilst the Educational Outcomes are the prime reason for the MAT, it is imperative that the structures that we set up from day one are fit for purpose, that due diligence is properly carried out, that the finances are robust and that people continue to be looked after appropriately. For this to happen, it is important that the balance of skills that the Trustees possess is appropriate and balanced, and I believe that I bring some of those attributes to the table.